Monday 12 December 2011

Confusing words in English


because, as, since or for
Word
Explanation
Example
because
The reason is very important in the sentence, so because comes in the sencond clause of the sentence.
I read this book because I like it.
as
The reason is already known.
As we read, we learn.
since
The reason is already known.
(more formal than
as)
Since we were in the computer lab, our English has improved.
for
The reason is given at the end of the sentence.
We went to a small restaurant - for we were hungry.

borrow or lend


Word
Explanation
Example
borrow
to take and use sth. that belongs to sb. else
I'd like to borrow your umbrella.
lend
to give sth. to sb. that belongs to you
I can lend you my umbrella.

borrow or lend - Exercise
Top of Form
borrow or lend? - Choose the correct word.
1) Could you me some money, please?
2) Some pupils can books from their school.
3) Will you me your umbrella till tomorrow?
4) Should I him my football?
5) You may my bike, but be careful.
6) Could I your cup?
7) You can your book to Steve.
8) Why do students so much money from their parents?
9) Peter won't his car to anyone.
10) Will your mother you some money?



Answer:

1) Could you lend me some money, please?
2) Some pupils can borrow books from their school.
3) Will you lend me your umbrella till tomorrow?
4) Should I lend him my football?
5) You may borrow my bike, but be careful.
6) Could I borrow your cup?
7) You can lend your book to Steve.
8) Why do students borrow so much money from their parents?
9) Peter won't lend his car to anyone.
10) Will your mother lend you some money?

No comments:

Post a Comment