Monday 21 November 2011

Phrasal verbs, Prepositional verbs with special meaning (part 3)

Here we have listed verbs with adverbs and prepositions. 
These verbs have a special meaning, therefore we have used them in sentences.


Phrase
Example
save up
I'm saving up money for a new car.
see through
(1) I knew what he was up to, because I saw through him.
(2) I'll see this project through.
sell out (to)
(1) He refused to sell out to a large corporation.
(2) He shouldn't have sold out to them.
send away for
I had to send away for a new part.
send for
He sent for his secretary.
send over (to)
She sent me over to her office.
set up (for)
I will set up a meeting for next week.
settle down
(1) One day they will settle down in a small cabin in the mountains.
(2) Will you please settle down and relax?
share together
We shared a room together in college.
shoot up
Jane shot up just after she turned thirteen.
show off
Stop showing off.
sign in
Did you remember to sign in?
sign up for
Did you remember to sign up for the class?
sit around
Don't just sit around. Do something!
sit down
Please, sit down and relax.
sit in on
You guys mind if I sit in on your discussion?
sit out
I'm not playing. I better sit out this time.
sit up
(1) I sat up and read a book.
(2) I wouldn't get such terrible backaches if I sat up properly.
sleep in
I slept in this morning.
slim down
You have slimmed down a lot since last spring break.
slip up
You must not slip up again.
slow down
You're going to fast. Please slow down.
smash into
The car smashed into the side of a bus.
sober up
Some coffee definitely won't sober them up.
sort itself out
Things will sort itself out by the end of the month.
speak up
Please speak up. I nearly can't hear you.
speak up for
You can speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves.
split up
We had to split the class up into two classes.
spread out
He told them to spread out and continue their search.
stand around
Don't stand around. Get busy!
stand by
Stand by while I search for another song.
stand in (for)
Sam is sick. Can you stand in for him?
stand up
She stood up and looked across the room.
start over
Sorry, I guess I messed this up, so can I start over?
start up
Start your car up and let's go.
stay over
Can my friend stay over, please?
steal away
She stealed away while he was refilling her coffee.
step aside
Step aside, please. You're in my way.
stick together
We must stick together.
stop by
Please stop by before you go on vacation.
stop over
We stopped over in Chicago for two nights.
storm in(to)
He stormed into the room, shouting and yelling.
storm out (of)
He got angry and stormed out of the meeting.
straighten out
(1) We have to straighten this mess out.
(2) They straightened out the line of people.
strip down
The doctor told me to strip down for the examination.
stumble (upon)
I just stumbled upon her.
sum up
Can you sum up the arguments of this essay?
swell up
I bumped my ankle and it swelled up.
switch off
I forgot to switch the TV off before I went to bed.
switch on
Can someone switch the light on, please?
take away
The police took her daughter away.
take apart
Don't take my TV apart.
take off
(1) When does your plane take off?
(2) Sorry, I have to take off now.
(3) Take your coat off, please.
take over
If you take over, you will be in charge.
talk back (to)
Don't ever talk back to her.
talk out
Let's just talk this matter out.
team up (with)
I don't want to team up with him.
tear off (of)
She tore the label off the bottle.
tell off
I should have told him off.
tell on
I'm going to call your father and tell on you.
think back (to)
Try and think back to the morning of June 5.
think over
I needed a few minutes to think it over.
think through
First, let me think this through and I'll call you tomorrow first in the morning.
think of
I quickly had to think of something.
think up
I'll think something up.
throw up
I was so nauseous I almost threw up.
tidy away
Please tiday your stuff away.
tidy up
Your room looks like a pig sty. You better tidy it up now.
trick into
He tried to trick her into doing it his way.
try out
Let's try out this candy store.
turn around/about
The car turned around and went the other way.
turn down
(1) He turned his collar down, when he entered her house.
(2) Turn the music down a little, will you?
(3) Our proposal was turned down.
turn in
I need some sleep. I'm going to turn in now.
turn in(to)
Turn in for some gas.
turn off
Could you please turn the radio off?
turn on
Don't forget to turn on the lights when the sun goes down.
turn up
(1) Turn your cuffs up, please.
(2) Something always turns up.
(3) Apparently, new evidence has turned up.
use up
You can use it up. I have more of it.
wake up
Wake up! We have hit the road.
walk off
They didn't even say good-bye. They just walked off.
walk out (on)
My sister walked out on Fred because she was fed up with him.
watch over
Can you watch over the kids while we're gone.
watch out (for)
Watch out for the snakes in the bushes.
wear out
After weeks of learning for this stupid test, I'm worn out.
wipe off (of)
Don't use your sleeve to wipe the ice cream off of your hand.
work out
(1) Everything will work out in the end.
(2) She needs to work out more often.
work over
They really worked him over.
wrap up
Wrap up the presents quickly.
write away for
I wrote away for a book on poetry.
yell out
The pain caused me to yell out.
zip up
I had better zip my jacket up.

No comments:

Post a Comment